CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Monday, October 10, 2011

Week 5: Goodnight Sweet Prince/Why the Bills Are Succeeding

___________________________________________________


"Oh, why do the good always die so young?"





___________________________________________________

I firmly believe that there is some type of guiding force(s) taking part in sports. I’m not going to try and pretend to understand what is involved, but I can say with absolute certainty that when someone verbalizes or makes any gesture with regard to how they perceive the outcome to be… well, that’s when it all goes in the opposite direction.

Let me explain.

As I lay on my bed getting ready to call it a night, I begin to do my weekly League Manager’s note. The time is 10:40PM. The first paragraph I type out is how there is a three way tie for second place in the NFL between Vic, Spae & I who are all at 2-3.

I genuinely would have had no problem with losing this matchup. I feel bad for Spae the way things have worked out the last couple of years for him in fantasy so I genuinely would’ve liked to see him win. No sooner do I type this out on the page than Jahvid Best runs for an 88 yard touchdown at 10:45PM, securing my victory.

How many times have we seen something like this happen? How many times has Joey called or texted us during a Bills/Sabres game where they were leading only to watch it fall apart? I remember the Bills-Patriots Monday night game two years ago. I didn’t care about the Bills (remember I swore them off after 2008), but I began to give a damn about the outcome. Right about this time I got a text from my buddy Larry in Florida saying congratulations on the win. Well we all remember how things went from there.

Joey texting me at the Cowboys game on Monday night 2007; “This is the upset of the year”, or after the second period of game 7 of the Hurricanes-Sabres series saying “We’re going to the Cup”.

But it’s not enough just to verbalize or convey these feelings, they must also be accompanied by a genuine belief that you know how the outcome will go.

Which brings me to my point. I firmly believe that the Bills are doing so well this season simply because I no longer care about the outcome of the games, or the team.

So ask yourself this, would you rather I went all “Joey Style” and started making wild predictions about the future of the team (both this season & beyond)? Or are you grateful that I have turned my back on the organization and have become genuinely indifferent (and sometimes hostile) towards their success this year?

I’m starting a thread on the message board to discuss times when our fortunes in the sports world changed simply by receiving a call/text, verbalizing our thoughts or any other means I haven’t mentioned. Feel free to contribute your own stories.

0 comments: