CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Wednesday, November 4, 2015

Pointless Update Three: Barry Sanders

___________________________________________________

 photo barry-sanders-o_zps5i8cjw8a.gif
___________________________________________________

As some of you may or may not know, I love collecting sports memorabilia. I don't do it as an investment, (though if I was strapped for cash I could probably sell my authentic Bobby Orr autographed jersey for a decent profit). I mostly got into sports collectibles because I'm at an age where nearly all the professional athletes playing the game are younger than me. It's difficult to muster up any hero worship for someone who is your junior.

That's why I go to autograph signings, to meet the athletes I grew up admiring. I'm actually going to Vaughn, Ontario this Sunday to meet Pat LaFontaine.

So when I found out one of my favorite sports memorabilia stores, Sports Collector's Corner, was closing for good, I decided to go there this past Saturday to see what deals they had. Pretty much everything in the place was around 50% off. At first I didn't really see anything I wanted that much since a lot of the best merchandise had already been picked over.

Then I noticed a 16x20 framed picture of Barry Sanders. With the discount they were offering, I couldn't say no.
___________________________________________________

 photo IMG_0079_zpsavjsxzt3.jpg
___________________________________________________

I've said for years that I believe Barry Sanders is the greatest running back in the history of the game. Joey and I debated this issue in the past, when he said that he felt Jim Brown had that designation. I believe my position to carry more validity mainly because Jim Brown played at a time when football players weren't the athletes they are today. For the most part, they had to have jobs in the off-season because the game didn't pay them enough (That's one of the reasons Jim Brown left, he was getting paid more to star in movies).

Barry Sanders played the game when athletes were in peak physical condition. If he had been on a team with a better offensive line, I have no doubt that he would have had multiple 2000 yard seasons. He created his own holes, got out of more tackles than I can explain, and it was more exciting to watch him lose 3 yards than it was to watch any other running back sprint for 70.

In 10 seasons in the NFL, Barry Sanders ran for 15,269 yards averaging 5.0 yards per carry. He could've easily broken Walter Payton's all-time rushing record of 16,726 yards, and finished with over 20,000 yards, But instead, Barry Sanders chose to walk away from the game.

And that's why I admire him as much as I do; For being as talented as he was, he was easily one of the most humble superstars to play.

If you've never watched the episode of "A Football Life" focusing on Barry Sanders, I suggest you check it out if you get the opportunity. It's loaded with stories from his childhood, high school, college, and professional years, and it paints a picture of an extremely courteous guy. In high school, despite not starting until the forth game of his senior year, he ran for 1,417 yards. Going into the final game he told his coach to let the younger kids play, rather than staying in the game and becoming the state's leading rusher for that year.

He never once spiked the ball throughout his career and his Heisman Trophy still sits at his parents' house. It's one thing to be considered among the best at what you do, but it's something totally different to be as respectful and unpretentious as Barry Sanders was. That's why I consider him the best running back of all-time.

0 comments: